View Single Post
Old March 5, 2016   #18
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I want to assure you the presto canner will work on a glass top stove.
I have done the research not only with Presto but with my GE glass top stove.

By the way if you just buy the old school granite water bath canner kettle the glass top will not get hot enough to boil water.
I have to use my tri clad stainless to do it.

Worth
I've done lots and lots of reading about it. Basically we don't own the stove so we don't have an owners manual. If you have an owners manual many glass top stoves will tell you which canner you can use on them. There are very few that you actually can't use one on. But we don't know which one our stove is without the manual...so I'm not going to risk it.
Plus I simply can't afford the $300 the landlord will charge for there being a crack in the top or the glass turning colors due to the canner.

I have the granite type canner so I bought an inexpensive plug in two burner set up (It cost $15). I actually like it better! I can have the canner going full steam on one counter, me prepping the next batch to cook on the other counter and the jam/sauce cooking on the stove. I can get twice as much done in the same time. I love it! Plus in the summer I will be taking that plug in unit along with our camping stove outside onto the porch and escaping the heat indoors.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote