View Single Post
Old July 14, 2011   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetgardener View Post
I've seen pretty variable results saving seed - it depends on the level of isolation from other tomatoes. Personally, I would look for alternatives - I personally think the sister varieties to Campari are every bit as good, if not better - I've grown both Okapi and Adoration on my farm (Newer varieties from the same breeder as Campari. For Santa types, I think Amsterdam F1 is better than the original Santa. Try Paramount Seeds.
Some folks are on the F6 and F7 with the OP Santa, formerly F1 and most of the seed being traded is OK so I think that self pollenization is very high, which is good.

And with regard to Campari I think it might be worthwhile to try Mountain Magic F1, bred by Dr. Randy Gardner which is also noted to be a Compari type. With his persmission I offered seeds for it and two others he bred, Smarty F1 now at johnny's and also Plum Regal F1. I think that was two years ago here.

Mountain Magic F1 seeds are now available at several seed sites and I, for one, have been very impressed with it, but have not grown the alternatives you spoke to above.

In general I don't grow many hybrids; just a personal decision.