Thread: venison burger
View Single Post
Old December 30, 2015   #50
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I went ahead and canned some of the deer I got a couple days back. I printed out that backwoods page mentioned and it makes pretty good sense. I froze the loins and neck, and we kept some fresh, but the shoulders and most of the hindquarters were canned. I canned 10 qt of venison stew w/ various broths and 3 qt of nice steak strips in beef bouillion broth. Both were raw meat and vegetables into hot jars and heated broth.

We like the taste. I had never had canned deer before. The stew is really nice. The plain meat reminds me of canned salmon. I could definitely eat that cold on the tailgate while out hunting. I don't eat a lot of canned meat, but the salt and texture seems similar and I think that is what I notice.

Next time I may try frying it off halfway before canning to see the difference. I prefer the simplicity of cold packing, though. I think raw pack with small chunks and sausage spices, minus the sage, is in order next time as well.
Good Job! Our deer season this weekend was a total bust! raining, windy and cold both days. We didn't get anymore.