View Single Post
Old September 13, 2020   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Dawg I pulled all but the last two plants in my bed and they all had RKN. I'm sure the other two have the same problem but they are just much larger healthier plants so it may take a while longer for the RKN to get them to the point where the leaves start dropping off and eventually no more new blooms.

When I set out my bean plants the other morning I went out to check them that afternoon and was surprised to find a lot of leaves damaged from birds pecking and eating the leaves. I have had a ton of sparrows in my garden the last two months and they have been pecking everything. My backdoor neighbor is a maniac about bird feeding and now it has gotten out of hand with large swarms of sparrows descending on my garden daily. My last two large okra plants which are both around 7 feet tall and very broad also sometimes look like a bird roost and they are constantly pecking holes in the leaves. Some of the leaves look like they have been shot with a shotgun; they have so many holes nothing much is left. It doesn't seem to have hurt production much on the okra but I worry about the beans. I went out this morning and some of them are really shredded like a hoard of grasshoppers were on them. I put a few aluminum pie plates on string and they are sure flapping around in the wind and maybe they will keep them away somewhat.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote