Thread: Micro-organisms
View Single Post
Old October 30, 2009   #10
igarden
Tomatovillian™

no way are you alone beeman! there are discussions on Idig as well. that's where i started reading about LB, EM/BIM. there were links to GW and other places. i found it fascinating.

i make my own dog food and use a lot of brown rice. when i wash it i save the liquid and let it sit for a few days and then add molasses to it. i mix one tablespoon plus (i eyeball it) to a gallon of water and used it on container plants this summer. i also used it here and there in the gardens like on the cukes and some pepper plants that were looking yellow and not healthy. the plants really responded to the mixture applications. i was very pleased with it. i am now using the LB on our plants inside the cabin...lemon, avocado, banana, etc... they all are staying lush and healthy, so far.

i tried making EM/BIM early this summer. i thought it was a way to use up old fruit and peelings and such. it ended up with a wispy black threaded mold all over the top of it, something that i didn't think looked as it should. the smell wasn't right either. i was told that what one puts into the EM/BIM is what one gets out of it. so, i figure the fresher the veggies, fruit, etc... i put in it, the better. i didn't have time to try it, but am definitely planning on doing so come spring.

RJ_Hythloday's post reminds me of the article written about Gil Carandang, a philipine farmer... http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20040401/Hamilton

in his book/brochure, he mentions making a batch of brown cooked rice and, i can't remember the details exact now, but you put it in a container and slightly bury it in the woods where there's lots of activity and after so long dig it up and introduce it in your garden soil, compost, whatever, and the quality will improve. very exciting!