View Single Post
Old April 8, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default The Root Battle and Garden Stretcher

This morning I broadforked the bed where cukes will be planted. It’s up in the corner of the garden where there’s a crape myrtle tree and those roots are invading the bed.

The half of the bed closest to the crape was a pain to fork with lots of fibrous roots and some more substantial but The Beast (broadfork) did it’s job. Thank goodness it’s done. I hope the tomatoes do well on those pallets because that bed has been fallow about three years. By now it’s most likely solid crape and grape roots and good for nothing else but supporting pallets!

Meanwhile, the garden stretcher is at work again. Yesterday my sister Pickles tilled up one of two new planned beds with the Mantis.

Today she planted the first two of four Blue Suede (southern high bush) blueberries in the prepped bed and added some transplanted Sunday Gloves daylilies on the near end. The other bed will eventually be for the Conover’s Colossal asparagus plants I’ve grown from seed this spring and whatever else she decides to put in there. The area to the right of the back bed will be watermelon and spaghetti squash while the area to the right of the blueberry bed will be corn.

This is the only sage left of four that were planted in the spring of ’18. I’m amazed that it survived some nights in the mid and upper 20’s. It’s now blooming for the first time. I might have to take some cuttings of this one.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote