View Single Post
Old March 8, 2017   #13
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Has anyone grown Brandywine Orange?

Yes, I have now for about 12 years.

I think it's just Yellow Brandywine being called a different name.

Nope, it is not just Yellow Brandywine

They say it is from Tom Wagner though....
And it looks like he released something like this in 2011

It is from my breeding work. I had a related line called Brandyvined Orange in 2011 but not released, just listed as a maybe.

Fred, I know of no Brandywine called Brandywine Orange

I did not see "Brandywine Orange" as an available variety and i went with that name as a working name as the internet was not bringing that name up.

I didn't either. But the link I posted is a legit outfit, and I know they work with Tom Wagner. So, I am assuming that he does have a variety called Brandywine Orange

Garden America, Supernaturals, Mighty Mato A P Whaley allowed me a contract to have them test a number of my creations during 2014 and 2015. The seed I sent to Modesto, CA was in a highly guarded test plot that I could not visit nor send anyone to see either.

….has a list of Tom Wagner varieties from 2011 with an entry for "Brandyvined Orange." I don't know if that is a typo or not.

It was not a typo. I have a tendency to name varieties with tongue in cheek!

Why don't you contact him about anything he might have called Brandywine Orange and also ask him about the company offering it.

The companies growing my varieties or offering grafted plants from my seed do not communicate with me much, nor do people generally contact me. I did, however, get a note on my forum about this. Somebody who is on TVille did go to my forum but did not leave their real name.

Fred... Have you seen this about the Brandywine Orange?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1160644...seeds-heirloom

The seed industry is not too precise on the Brandywines available

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pedigree of BRANDYWINE ORANGE is known only to myself and will likely will die with me. As long as breeders are poorly compensated for their work I see little reason to divulge all. I am hoping people buying the grafted BRANDYWINE ORANGE will contact me and tell me what they think of this heirloom derived tomato variety. I would like to get some OP seed from your plant if you grow one, since I was not offered any increased seed back from the new owners of my variety.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote