View Single Post
Old May 11, 2013   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17088

The above sticky is the first one in this Forum and that b'c many many folks do not understand that F2 saved seeds from a hybrid will not normally give plants with the exact same traits as the original hybrid.

Part of the confusion was intorduced in Carol Deppe's book, 1st edition, on How to Grow your own vegetables, where she said that some hybrids are NOT hybrids,

But that was back then, not now, and I haven't heard of any F1 hybrids lately that are OP's from the get go.

And yes, I'm aware of the Brandy Boy stuff and even more awareof Bucks County Red Hybrid, name changed from what Burpee was calling Red Brandywine, no F1 about it. Sucker me looking for thuth bought the Burpee F1 seeds AND plants of the Bucks County one and compared them to the Red brandywine I'd been growing for several years, from someone in the SSE Yearbook.

They were identical, that is the F1 plants and seeds and my own Red OP Bandywine.

I've been gnashing my teeth since yesterday about an article in the local paper where the writer said that F1 seeds are not fertile? Whoa, and then went into his idea of what an heirloom is so I saved that article and his addy is there and next week I think I'll e-mail him about a few things in that article.

Perhaps the worst of it, to me at least, is where the woman who was the subject of the article , she sells fruits and I thinkp lants as well, asked for seeds back from all who bought from her and is setting up a trade situation which I could NOT understand from what was written.

Summary? If you've been here as long as I have , I mean at this site, not in general, you'd have seen how many persons have no idea about the difference between hybrids and OP's as to saved seed, seed purity and on and on.

And I'm grateful to Travis (Bill to me) who does give the parentages of any crosses he makes when offered before genetic stability.

And that b'c quite a few persons do not do that.

Carolyn