View Single Post
Old January 22, 2017   #99
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I'm certain that indoor micro tomato plants, laden with just-blushing red cherries, would sell like hotcakes at Christmas time, Valentine's Day, Easter, and even Mother's Day, here in the north where we only see a homegrown tomato from July to October.

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier; my grow lights are only growing an orchid and a lily right now. But they will be inundated from March to May with this year's seedlings. Dfolett, I'll get back to you in a generation; this coming fall I'd love to grow out some micros.
I don't sell, but it sure seems to me you are right. Folks are always looking for something novel as a gift. They would certainly be an interesting gift that keeps on giving.

And, the person receiving the gift would not need access to any special lighting for the tomatoes to finish ripening. From my experience, once they have set fruit, the plant will carry that fruit to maturity even if they don't get anything more than window light during the short winter days. They need the day extended with artificial light to set the fruit, but not to ripen it. They may not set additional fruit, but they would ripen those already set.

There may be a whole untapped market for these little things....
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote