View Single Post
Old November 26, 2022   #4
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

I have grown some in the first group that did well in warm sunny California... like Eva Ste Wendell, Terhune, Earl Faux, Danas, Bear Creek, and Rebel Yell.

This season I planted many not on this list and almost all those tasted poor and had poor texture. But many of those were "recommended" hybrids from the nursery. And again were grown under a hoop house plastic all season in large grow bags.

I did plant this year Terhune and Spudakee both were pretty good taste and texture. Vorlon had good texture, very productive, but bland. Same for Prudens Purple.
Last year I had Eva Purple Ball and Eva Ste Wendell and both good but were super late. Last year had Earl Faux was good but always pretty catfaced.
I didn't have problems really with plant health, productivity, or vigor (in fact Spudakee mid season broke itself under the weight) it was taste and texture. Esp texture. I did give potassium and only watered when necessary. So strong tasting with good texture I need, I can't taste mild and hate mealy. This list was compiled trying to find those attributes from people growing in cooler areas.

Last edited by strawbaleking; November 26, 2022 at 03:43 PM.
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote