Thread: Bitter Melon?
View Single Post
Old March 4, 2018   #5
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
Baker Creek has two more BM varieties listed now on their website (it took me awhile to find them). You might be particularly interested in "Taiwan White", described as a very mild variety. I just ordered some for trial.

"Siamese", based upon the description, may be similar in flavor to the very bitter "Thailand" variety I obtained from Evergreen Seeds... but "Thailand" is much more elongated (and has the shortest DTM of any BM I've grown thus far).
Hi,
Yes, I saw the other two varieties of Bitter Melon at Baker Creek. It was the word 'mild' that made be pick the Abashi seed.
I haven't ordered from Evergreen Seed in years. But I used to order from them-where I bought a Hybrid bitter melon from, the only seed I bought from them didn't germinate was a gourd: Yatoo? Something like that...or maybe that is the name of a Star Wars charecter? I can't remember...anyway, have you ordered from them lately?
I like to pre-cook mine a little, then add it to stewed tomatoes. Sometimes I stuff it with bread crumbs and vegetables and bake it. But I like it raw the most. I heard that it is good with scrambled eggs, but I haven't tried that yet.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote