View Single Post
Old September 21, 2014   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well, Joseph.... I've seen you post in other threads that you have no time for any non-red tomatoes, because there's no market. Fair enough.
Jagodka is your great producer, and I totally appreciate the value of an 88 days seed to ripe tomato, but they are exactly as you describe, acid as heck, nowhere near premium for fresh eating. Yep, the ones I grew were horrid.
Your customers may like them because tomatoes are expensive to buy, and as such you only get a limited quantity of them. Even an acid tomato in a small amount is better than no tomato, for sure. Oh wow. It's a fresh tomato. In June. No kidding.
Since I'm growing primarily for my own and family's food, I have a compromise position for what do I want in a tomato,, between 'any tomato that I can get to grow with passive energy inputs' and 'tomatoes I not only want to eat when they are scarce, but still want to eat after a month of eating a pound of tomatoes every #$$# day'.

I had to ask myself not only, are there OP tomatoes that could be commercial producers in the field here, but also, how good can a really great tomato taste? After a few years of trials, it's pretty clear to me that a great tomato can be awesome. And some tomatoes could be commercial producers in the field or at least in the greenhouse here. There isn't a big intersection of those sets. So breeding tomatoes becomes an interesting prospect.....

If I ever come up with a great tasting round red 88 day tomato, you'll have to try em. It's a horrid business, enit?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote