View Single Post
Old September 21, 2014   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I really can't see the allure of raw tomatoes. They are too acidic and not sweet enough for my liking. I grow fresh-eating tomatoes for other people, not for myself.

All of the following taste better to me than home grown tomatoes: Muskmelons, watermelon, apples, pears, grapes, sweet corn, cucumbers, sweet peppers, etc...

After I became aware of how distasteful tomatoes are to me, I have tasted more raw tomatoes in the last month or so than in the previous 5 years combined. It's been a horrible experience. I mostly don't spit them out, but I throw away a lot of fruit that has just a small bite taken out of it. <Shudders>

For what it's worth, I think that elderberries and garden huckleberries taste worse than tomatoes.

Elderberries and huckleberries are awesome! I like the acid taste, I seek it out, but I don't usually eat many tomatoes. Not like I don't like them, more like cucumbers, I like them in dishes and salads but would rarely just eat them.
I grow a lot of acid fruit, currants are my favorite fruit. I grow acid peaches too, I hate the low acid stuff, absolutely tasteless. Why not just eat high fructose corn syrup? As much fruit tastes just like it! All sugar no taste. I call them corn syrup fruits.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote