Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Ah, SunLucky ..

Carolyn, here is the reference thread re Tad - from some time ago

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....94&postcount=1

and another interesting related thread from Craig

http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...11&postcount=1
OK, that first one is from 2006 and maybe back then I would have remembered what the cross was but I know that it was a three way cross and had the chromosome maps that Tad sent me to indicate the genes he wasinterested in and Tad did no selections at all, just sent me the hybrid seeds and I did the rest.

And yes, I named it Tad and Tad said not to distribute seeds to anyone except Craig and back to him, b'c he wanted to upsize it but never did.

Tad has a Ph. D in plant breeding and worked in the peanut fields of GA for far to long, ahem, moved back north and then was the head of the potato Late Blight section at a place near Philly whose name escapes me from time to time.

Seveal of the tomato varieties he bred are still listed in the SSE Yearbooks and I put a couple of them in my book, Tad used to send F1 hybrid seeds of some that he bred to just Craig and myself and I remember one pink heart, I don't think it had a name, and when the F1 seeds were gone it was indeed a sad day.

Someone tracked him down recently, I'd lost contact with him and he was found in CA as the head of some place, somewhere, just to be specific.

I know I kept the search link in my faves and was going to contact him, but just forgot to do so.

He's a wonderful guy and very bright, that's for sure.

So if you see someone who says they have the variety Tad, and one peson has said so, they aren't telling the truth b'c only Craig and I have it and I ran across it the other day and I suppose I should get Craig to raise a plant for me and send it up here and grow it far away from the others, or Freda will, and have her put up a 12' fence so no two legged or four footed individuals have access to it.

And that b'c so many really good ones have come out of that accidental cross between Brandywine X Tad.

Carolyn