Thread: Banana Legs ?
View Single Post
Old June 22, 2015   #9
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

I was going to paste a link to a site that had a very easy sauce I used last year, but of course I can't find it. But I'm going to put down what I do. This allows you to use pretty much any of your tomatoes for sauce and it's easy as there's no peeling or seeding.

I line the largest lipped tray I have w/ aluminum foil. Spray foil w/ non-stick spray.

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Halve, quarter (or more) depending on the size of your tomatoes, putting them on the tray skin side down and cut side up. Fill the tray up.

Cut up a onion or two, making wedges out of it (remove top and bottom of onion, plus skin.

Cut up and slice into strips a bell pepper (or use something hotter if desired). do remove stem and seeds.

Use several cloves garlic, w/ skin removed and roughly chunked.

Place onions, peppers and garlic on tray (sometimes I fry them up seperately on the stovetop).

Sprinkle the tomatoes + w/ salt, basil, black pepper, and any other herbs you prefer (I like adding oregano and rosemary).

Drizzle oil over tray.

Place in oven for 1 hour (watch that tomatoes don't get too blackened) [you can also cook this longer at a lower temp (350) but you stilll might want to finish at 400 to caramelize.

Remove tray from oven. Scoop contents into blender (or food processor).
I blend until fairly smooth.

You basically have your sauce. I'd put it in a dutch oven at this point on the stovetop and add any herbs or lemon juice or sugar to bring it to the taste I want.

I even canned this sauce last year (adding lemon juice) and had homemade sauce for about 5 months.

Chris
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote