View Single Post
Old August 14, 2020   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Of course, container tomato choices depend on the pot size. A twenty gallon container will be able to handle a big plant. Five to ten gallons would be best for cherry tomatoes and many of the salad sized. A lot of the dwarf varieties would work in containers, too.

My experience with 5, 10 and 15 gallon containers and gro-bags is that regular sized, medium or large fruited, tomatoes will be smaller in size and lowered production compared to plants grown in the ground. Even smaller tomatoes produce less in pots. But then I don't think container growers care so much. They just want tomatoes.

Given the right growing medium, watering schedule and fertilization program, container grown tomatoes no matter the variety will thrive. We have folks who grow in containers exclusively and do well.

The needs and wants of the customer as to the type of tomatoes they want to grow and the size containers they will be using will help decide the variety. For me, the smaller the fruit the smaller the container can be. Then you will need to advise them on container growing practices.