Thread: Red epidermis?
View Single Post
Old March 20, 2016   #1
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

Default Red epidermis?

How do the genetics shake out and what lines did this likely come from?

Last year, there were three groups of crosses that I worked with that expressed a single plant in each line that gave me a red "skin."

I suppose there could have been more, but at the time I had made the assumption that the red fruits had a yellow epidermis. Apparently I did a poor job of cleaning the pollen off of the lens between crosses because at least two of the three have zero chance of throwing that trait without mutation. The pollen appears to have come from a small slicing tomato(4-6oz) based upon the resulting fruit.

The red came as we sliced into some and found GWR flesh over bright red fruits. I searched, and have read the Artisan Seed related blogs that both show and discuss to some extent the red "skin" as a possible sub-layer of cells (below a yellow epidermis?), but don't really address it as simply as yellow is dominant and clear is recessive. http://frogsleapfarm.blogspot.com/20...-color-in.html

So, I am fishing for a discussion on the matter in advance of actually growing out the offspring this year.

In case it helps, some of the parents involved were: Aunt Ruby's GG, Sungold F2, Captain Lucky(MY BET on the source although too big), purple bumblebee

Thanks in advance.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote