View Single Post
Old March 13, 2009   #68
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Legalese is confusing to me, and if it turns out that I'm wrong in saying that this bill applies to any and everyone who grows produce that is stored and transported from one location to another I'll be the first to admit it.

But think about it for a minute, if this legislation is not intended to apply to farms, then would it realistically address public concerns over food poisoning? I mean, when you are dealing with E. coli contamination, the obvious source of contamination is feces since the bacteria lives in the intestine. In the case of the peanut scare, it is believed by some to be the result of factory farming practices involving animal feces. If that is the case, the only way this legislation would make any sense would be if it mandated oversight - not only of food in the preparation and transportation stages - but also in the places it would be stored directly after being harvest, and before it made its way to the next stage of packaging and distribution. I may just be an ol' country boy, but I can't see any way around this legislation being aimed at farms. However, I would remind my fellow cautionary folks that this is not necessarily the final version of the bill; it may be changed for the better...or the worse.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote