View Single Post
Old August 21, 2014   #18
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I've had trouble growing cucumbers for the past 5 or 6 years. I think I get mites or possibly PM, and I think the weather is always too hot, so the plants don't get enough water in the containers I've grow them, even watering in the evening once a day.

This year, I tried Sweet Success for the first time. I had great germination results. I seeded all 15 seeds from that Gurney's pack, and planted 6 or so plants in a series of two EarthTainers, which I had set in direct sun on my patio. The vines started off quite well, but then seemed to wilt a lot in the 100F+ May/June time-frame. I tried putting up a shade-cloth around them, and that helped some. One or two of the plants produced a bit, and the taste was great. No bitter throrw-aways, as I tended to get when harvesting from stressed plants in the past. The plants kept growing, but didn't keep up production and the leaves turned yellow. I think I had mites again. Sprayed some. I then moved them off the center of my patio to a location that gets less sun, and I've been harvesting smallish fruit that is maybe 4" diameter but only 6-9" in length. The ends of the fruit dry up, like a tube balloon that isn't fully inflated. Anyway, I plan to continue to grow these if I can find them for a better price than Gurneys. Even w/out true success, they've been great for us.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote