View Single Post
Old June 25, 2013   #37
NickD
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I wish I'd found this thread sooner.

About a week ago (after reading about people trying to grow Red Robin in cubicles in the general discussion forum), I thought it would be interesting to try to get some more variety into the micro dwarf category (variety besides "tiny red fruit"). I ordered some seeds and received them yesterday.

My plan is to try crossing some of the Dwarf Project tomatoes with Red Robin, with the idea being to *hopefully* have dwarf F1s that I'll be able to grow out indoors this winter (because every gardener needs a winter project!).

For this season I was thinking I would try to get a Rosella Purple/Red Robin cross, and/or a Mr. Snow/Red Robin. I also have Beryl Beauty, Sleeping Lady, Arctic Rose, and New Big Dwarf plants in my garden, if you guys think one of those would make a more interesting cross.

Eventually, I guess my goal would be to obtain varieties that stay very compact (under 18 inches or so), but with different colored fruit than Red Robin. I also wouldn't complain if the fruit were a little bigger than Red Robin. Personally, my main use for a tomato like this would be indoor winter gardening (winter BLTs?).

Nick
NickD is offline   Reply With Quote