Thread: Fall Cole Crops
View Single Post
Old January 1, 2019   #48
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Very little of my fall garden is doing well and I think it is the incessant and heavy rains we have been having. My raised beds are just sodden all the time now with no chance to dry out at all lately. Most of my plants are either tiny or slightly yellow so I am assuming it is the rain leaching away the nitrogen and potassium. After the best year ever for spring and summer growing it looks like I am facing my worst year ever for fall/winter growing. Just planted some Willet Wonder peas, some more carrots, set out my spinach and lettuce and started another few rows of mustard greens. I have some more broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower ready to set out but they aren't looking so hot due to the constant rain. I'm just hoping for some sun so the cups can dry out a bit and maybe the plants will perk up. I know if I wasn't using raised beds everything would have already died from drowing or been washed away; but since I do have raised beds I will keep trying.

Bill
I’m fighting the same battle. I haven’t watered anything in the garden for 2 months; that’s a first. Yesterday was a miracle- 80 and sunny after the thick fog burned off. Today is supposed to be the same. Broccoli and cauliflower are just sitting there, not looking great. The mustard and arugula don’t seem to care so at least I have those. I brought the lettuce seedlings in a few times to dry them out over these last 6 weeks. I’m going to plant them out today.Peas are just ok when they are typically gang busters.
I sure hope this little warm weather wave reaches you!