Thread: Hearts!
View Single Post
Old April 19, 2012   #26
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Tracy, I'm not saying Brads Black Heart won't do well for you. I was really looking forward to trying it last year and planted several and none produced any fruit. It seemed to be very susceptible to fusarium which is the bane of my garden.

Since you live where the temperature is even hotter than here you might want to try varieties that do fairly well in the high heat. I have grown two hearts that have set fruit well in very high temperatures because I usually set out plants right through July. Last year Fish Lake Oxheart and Kosovo set fruit during the hottest months of the summer. Another one that does pretty good during the hot weather is Linnie's Oxheart.
I'll see if I can try one of those next year.
I'm not sure it really matters if something sets well in the heat in AZ. Once it gets hot here, it gets so hot that nothing can set. The challenge is getting fruit set quickly before the heat sets in because there is simply nothing that can set when the average temperature is over 105 and the nighttime temps start staying above 85-90.
Sometimes, I think I'd be better off getting tomatoes that are short season and set in cooler temperatures because it goes from cool nights in the 50s to suddenly being so blasted hot in May. We just don't get much spring here. Last year, what fruit I did get was mostly first, some second truss and it was badly cat faced.
I do still like to try the tomatoes that set in heat and had some success last year with Arkansas Traveler. I also had some fruit set when the monsoon started with Cherokee Purple, Striped Roman and Reisentraube.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote