View Single Post
Old July 19, 2020   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I like late fall snap peas just a little frost kissed, but I guess field peas would rot with a freeze? Never tried field peas here.
Yeah, the foliage kind of melts when frosted. But I'll have most everything picked by then.

Quote:
I'll pick okra every other day when it starts. I share some. Many here have heard of it but never eaten it, let alone grown it.
I believe it! I'm originally from Delaware and I never heard of it until I got to the South. No thanks to boiled okra but yay for well fried okra dredged in a cornmeal/flour mix! Or cooked in with field peas.

Quote:
When we get an overload a week after a big rain, bag and freeze.
If you like breaded, fried okra, you can cut and bread it ahead of time and then tray freeze/bag it. That saves a lot of time and mess. It's ready when you are!

Quote:
I tried some others last year but we didn't like the taste/texture as much as clemson spineless. I really do appreciate the spineless part, too. Some choppee got me good last year. Pod or plant, I can't remember
Over the past six years I've been trying a lot of kinds of okra. This year it's Choppee again (first time last year) and new to me Cajun Jewel. That Cajun Jewel is a monster plant with a ton of production points! It's just starting to produce but I can see a lot coming. BTW, it wouldn't have been a Choppee pod that got ya as they're velvety and smooth as a baby's butt.

Quote:
Whew...umm...thread hijack complete? LOL
That's funny! I don't mind at all. Good discussions are the name of the game! And if corn turns into okra, it's all good.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote