View Single Post
Old July 15, 2012   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceloft View Post
...1) I can't imagine the PVC stays by itself during high winds. What can I use to secure it?

2) What sort of fabric should I be using for the row covers? I've found numerous sites selling various types of row cover fabric, but what is best bang for your buck?

3) Should I anchor the fabric to the ground as well as getting the clips to attach it to the PVC?...
1. I haven't done this myself, but someone else at the community garden pounds some rebar into the ground, and the tubing fits over the rebar like a sleeve. The rebar needs to be pounded in as far as necessary to make it stable, and if you will be using the raised bed without the tubing, the rebar should not stick up high enough to be hazardous without a sleeve. For my soil, I'd pound a foot into the ground and leave a foot above. Do some trials to find how much is needed to secure the tubing for the desired span at the height you want. The local hardware store where I buy 20 ft. rebar will cut it for me -- if you have a place like this, figure out beforehand what lengths of rebar you'll need.

2. The type of row cover depends on what season you'll be using it and why. The heavy duty row cover is for cool season; lightweight row cover is for warmer temps. Or you can use plastic (and be there often to open and close) for a minigreenhouse, or shade cloth. Avoid the cheap row cover -- it shreds in the wind. I've also used old sheets, tulle from the fabric store, old lace tablecloths from the thrift shop, bubble wrap, and window screening to protect plants from bugs, birds, wind, sun, rain, or cold.

3. Again, depends on why you're using it. To protect young seedlings from birds or bugs, yes, I use extra rebar/stakes or rocks to secure the edges. If I want to get into the area easily, I lay a stake horizontally along one long edge of the row cover, and weight the edges and middle with rocks. Or you can just tuck the edges under the soil, but I find it's not practical to do this if I need to get inside often. I use clothespins (wood or plastic or metal) to secure my row cover.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote