View Single Post
Old December 21, 2017   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

The government proposed retail price is set at $10 a gram, which they figure to be competitive with the illegal market. A big chunk of the price is tax, and some squabbling has been under way how to split the tax monies between feds and provinces. Someone locally commented in a news article that it was set too high, because the present black market was $8. I have no idea what the standard rate is or how much it varies but BC being a producer region may be less than that.

Personally I would have no trouble paying $10 a gram for a certified organic product regulated by the gov, rather than $8 for who knows what from who knows who.

Compare with getting $10 a kilo for fresh local organic tomatoes. Prices for those are probably lower in other provinces too. I don't know what pot yields are per plant or area cw tomatoes, but for sure dried buds weigh a lot less than a fresh mater... not clear to me how far ahead the weed grower will really be, but it must be a win, or they wouldn't be switching.

Last edited by bower; December 21, 2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: clarify
bower is offline   Reply With Quote