View Single Post
Old May 15, 2013   #6
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
My seedlings do not look that good........until I plant them out in the garden. What is the soil mix You are useing if I may ask.
They're in Pro-Mix All Purpose, which is what I use for pretty much everything these days. They germinated in the house and stayed inside for 3-5 days after transplanting before moving to the unheated garage. The garage stays between 50 and 60 most of April here and both locations have shop lights on chains for each shelf so I can move them up and down as needed. The lights stay on 16 hour cycles.

They got hit with 1/2 strength fish emulsion with a shot of SeaCom PGR added after about a week in the garage and again two weeks later. Any sunny day over 50 I carry all the plants out and put them on the driveway, but we didn't have that many of those this spring...

Basically I treated them like my tomato transplants, with the cool early growing conditions and light nutrients. I think this helps keep all my transplants from getting too leggy and the outside time with our spring winds is enough to toughen up the stems.

More than you asked, but in case someone else is thinking about trying TPS I figured I'd toss my method out there where they can find it.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote