View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013   #86
travis
Tomatovillian™

Surf4Grrl, I was not speaking to Sweet Beverley or any of its variants. I grew it once. One plant, one time, so I don't have enough information or experience with it to offer an opinion as to its stability, or any other of its qualities.

Mine was a simple reply to your assertion that a line of tomatoes cannot be brought to stability in a shortened timespan by using a greenhouse to get a generation or two through cold months. And I simply used Mr. Wagner's quote as an example of someone with whom we are all familiar who uses single seed descent methodology, or some form of it, to arrive at a stable selection.

I guess I could've just as easily suggested we hear from someone who has used that or another methodology to arrive at a stable line of Ramapo OP at the F3, or Brandywine OTV in whatever filial generation that was accomplished, or any number of open pollinated tomato varieties or "strains" (i.e., Yellow Brandywine, Platfoot) that heirloom tomato growers enjoy today that were developed without employing the hard and fast rules that require massive blocks of plants in each generation from F2 to F7, etc.

And please don't confuse me with someone who is unable to do the math or discern the difference between hummus and horse hockey. This ain't my first trip around the block, and I do have a bit of experience with horticulture and plant breeding beyond the few years I've putzed around with this current tomato hobby.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote