View Single Post
Old July 16, 2013   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
In my area, the master gardeners group has a popular plant sale where the plants were $3 (last time I checked), but you could get similar varieties at independent nurseries for $1.50 to $2.50 (on sale) or $2-4 (regular price). So the prices are comparable or a little high, plus you had to wade through the crowds, struggle to find parking, and for me it's a 15-20 mile drive. I think they price them as high as the market will bear. If they were lower, they might run out sooner. If they were higher, fewer people might come. It's a huge all-day event with garden talks and booths of dozens of other garden-related nonprofits, some of which also sell a few plants. They even had a booth with used garden tools, supplies, and books, and another with last year's seeds, cheap. When I used to go, the tomato plants would sell out by noon, and there was a constant stream of people going in and people trudging back to the parking lots, laden with plants.

So the price depends on how big a crowd you can get to come and what kind of event it is. Plant sale only? Talks? Advice on growing and choosing varieties? Demos? Other stuff going on? Activities for kids? Reasons to stick around after they buy the plants? (and if so, a place where they can leave their plants, like a coat-check?)

Since it's 2 days, you can drop the price the second day, depending on how sales go on the first day. You probably don't want to price them too low the first day, because you want to have some left over.

If you can get some interviews in local papers, you can talk about the special varieties you'll be selling that aren't available anywhere else in the area.
Good things to think about here, thank you. This event is a plant sale only but very well known and has many plant vendors, but not any that grow unusual tomato types. I haven't gone before so I don't know if there is a kid friendly area but there are booths with educational and exhibit type only. It's a big well advertised event. I like the idea of keeping the prices higher until afternoon on Sunday.
Good post, thank you for your thoughts.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote