View Single Post
Old November 27, 2008   #11
tomatoaddict

This was my first year selling to chef's and gourmet stores.
I would ditto everything Natural said.
My goal the first year was to take the best care possible of the chef's I had. I worked tirelessly for them and it paid off.
At the end of the season I got glowing reference letters from them to use to obtain new chefs. So not only did I retain the ones I had, but now I cherry pick the chef's I want as Natural said.
I also sell to gourmet stores and specialty markets. Next year I will be adding private tastings and supplying private dinner parties.
The only advice I could add is;
be as professional as possible.
That might include investing in: Nice thick business cards
A professional looking brochure or such and possibly some shirts with your chosen business name.

A good working knowledge of the tomatoes you are growing.

Most of the chef's appreciate knowing the specifics of certain tomatoes.

A well done invoicing system. Organized !!!!
Also, I let the restaurants do the weighing. That way there is no chance of a problem with how many pounds you delivered.

also, if you are growing other things, try and bring things in for them to "work with"... I did this with my Mojito Mint and the Ghost peppers and other things. They love it and they get so spoiled by you that they wouldn't want anyone else to supply them.

Lastly, don't work with any restaurant that is not respecting whatever terms you give them. If you have a two week turn around for payment and you have a chef that isn't paying, dump them!!! I fired two of the best restaurants in town for this. Then I hear from the other chef's that these restaurants (same owner for both) are notoriously bad about paying their vendors.

It can be very lucrative. Takes a lot of work and a lot of dedication.