View Single Post
Old March 16, 2016   #45
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Oaks,

I've kept 3 raised beds, 4x4 each, and removed 5 beds that were 4x8. Hundreds of considerations involved, but primarily, I wanted more control and I was going to use what I considered unsatisfactory growing soil from those beds to contour my backyard back to it's original,better draining grade. A couple of 4x8 beds will certainly work their way back, but for now I'm really liking the idea of containers and the ability to grow more plants in the same space.

Also, containers will give me some mobility, I can start earlier and move them to a poly greenhouse. Getting into July with healthy plants has been difficult for me, colder and wet Spring's that extend into June have become normal. The plants are stunted by the cool soil and weakened, they fade with July's blazing heat.

Just looking for a little control and hoping containers can help in some way.
All good reasons. One thing I plan this year myself, is too make something like a low tunnel over at least one raised bed. Im trying to get an earlier crop of beans. Once the summer heat kicks in.. its over for the beans, until fall.

I forget that some states like Co. have some crazy weather.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote