View Single Post
Old August 18, 2018   #18
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
That's great, TG! You got 50+ seed per pound for both of them, and it looks to me that you should have no trouble multiplying those stocks from the bulbs.

Always nice to have two varieties instead of one, since the weather is different every year and will favor one but not always the other.
I'll have a good start now.The 2 I just ordered and the Unknown from bjbebs.Really looking forward to seeing how these do next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
kinda late to the thread,

my experience with garlic bulbils is i keep them together in the clump and break them apart just before i plant them.
might not make much difference, thats just what i do.

large bulbils i plant a couple inches deep, and about four inches apart. the bulbils from my german hard neck garlic will produce smaller fully divided bulbs the following year.
crowding bulbils by planting them two inches apart is supposed to help produce larger rounds. i like the bulbs myself.

for smaller bulbils, they can be sown in a row close together without much regard for spacing. they will produce rounds the following summer which should be dug, and spaced farther apart. the small bulbils take about three years to size up. patience is required.
when planting the bulbils in the garden, mark the row, and it would be a good idea to keep the row mulched on both sides to prevent weed growth otherwise it is very difficult to find the little green blades of garlic growing among the weeds. it might be better to grow the tiny bulbils in a tub.
using bulbils to increase your garlic supply is smart, and very economical.
garlic is good.

keith
Good to see you keith.

This will be first experience with bulbils.My horizons are being expanded here.Even if they don't all do well,some will,and that means I'll likely have enough.

Thanks for the advice.I figured that mulching would be necessary,and had already considered doing them in flats.

Getting excited already!

Trop