View Single Post
Old August 22, 2012   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default A visit with Tom Wagner and some interesting potatoes

I'm vacating in the PNW this year and arranged to visit Tom Wagner today. It was obvious from looking at his potatoes and comparing with my results in North Alabama that our climates are dramatically different. He showed me some very interesting spuds.

Chellan - This one was out of a cross with a commercial potato. The vines were huge, healthy, and the spuds were outstandingly good looking. Of the lines he showed me today, this was arguably the most impressive. It looked like a basic white potato, but with excellent disease tolerance.

I saw a purple skinned variety represented by 3 plants that had excellent looking plants and appeared to be a nearly trouble free potato. This one was such a good looking plant that I talked Tom out of one potato to take with me.

There were several varieties from Europe including one from Poland that looked like it would be an outstanding disease tolerant variety.

Yungay - This one made somewhat bumpy potatoes but they were large with huge healthy plants and very little problem with diseases.

There were tons of other potatoes to look at, but I'll let Tom talk about them.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote