Thread: Ramapo Tomato
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Now you've piqued my curiosity. Two years ago, I was given 3 'New Jersey' tomato plants that grew and produced very well. Not knowing anything about this plant, I bagged and saved a few seeds. I grew them again this year and got an OK yield since most of my plants got early blight.

I talked with the person donating the plants and he thought the ones he gave me were either Ramapo or derived from this variety or had been renamed New Jersey. He does not remember where he got the seed since he 'purchases from too many catalogs'.

So could the New Jersey indeed be Ramapo or something similar? The fruits are great tasting and about the same size as the Ramapo.
Many of the vaarieties grown in NJ these days are just referred to generically as New Jersey tomatoes and that reflect the long ago history of NJ being the main source of tomatoes and other veggies to NYC and Philadephia. And most of those are sold at roadside stands and famer's markets as NJtomatoes without saying which hybrid they are.

Now don't get me wrong. There's been a concerted effort on the part of many in NJ to encourage farmers to grow more op heirloom types and if you go to the Rutgers home page you'll see where field tests have been hed the past several years, some open to the public, to assess such varieties.

I know of no variety that has been derived from Ramapo F1 other than a couple of OP ones, one of which I described above. And I don't know of any seed catalog recently that has sold Ramapo F1 except for Harris Seeds.

How many plants did you grow this past season from saved seed and were they all identical in every way?