View Single Post
Old September 21, 2017   #49
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Water flow is a lot like electricity in many ways mostly because both are energy.
You can push higher voltage down a smaller wire much like you can push higher water pressure down a smaller pipe or hose.
Not to say with pipe or wire you wont have resistance or friction loss in both.
Bigger is always better.
This is why they have transformers at the house and regulators PRV's in pipe every so often.

To exemplify this even more you must first look at your static water pressure.
One house with pressure at 70 psi can get away with a longer 1/2 hose where a house with 30 psi cant.
This is one of the reasons many people are saying it works fine for me and others not for a given length of hose.
Another culprit is the crappy hose bibs or the small water lines coming from the meter and how long they are.
You have to take all of this into account.

By the way that bigger hole for the hose connection is a sales pitch all of them are bigger than the hole in the hose bib valve.
That valve is the major culprit for lack of flow.
Many times the valve and smaller pipe plus length reducing the flow by half as much as at the meter.
With any meter at the street never ever let them run 3/4 from it to the house Even if it is a 3/4 or 5/8 meter insist on at least 1 inch or bigger if it is going to be anywhere close to 50 to 100 feet or more.
Don't let these so called plumbers or builders fool you into thinking it wont do any good, it will due to reduction in friction loss, I know what I am talking about.
If they want to charge you 100's of dollars more call BS, bigger pipe isn't 100's of dollars more in cost.
I ran nothing but 1-1/2 inch pipe and 1 inch for my irrigation system.
Works fantastic.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote