View Single Post
Old May 30, 2015   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think anyone knows 100% for sure exactly the soil where the first black mutation resulting in Black Krim happened. We also don't know for sure if that original

&&&&&

And there's nothing to say that the first mutation led to a named variety, Black Krim, even happened.

maybe better to say that a mutation or mutations happened somewhere in the former Russian territories. I'm not wed to mentioing just the crimean region when I look at all the territories that Russia once controlled and those mutation(s) could have happened anywhere from the Baltic states to Crimea to Bulgaria, to Ukraine, to Moldova to even Siberia, from which many tomato varieties have come since it's NOT all cold and brutal in all areas there.

The same kinf of discussion here is also the same as to where the gold/red bicolors originated from and that's pretty clear since it was immigrants to the US that brought seeds with them that were from certain regions in Europe/

There were many Russian immigrants that also came to the US as far back as the early to mid 1800's and it might be intersting if someone were to look into that as well.

Carolyn, who is less interested in soil stratigraphy than she is in specific origins of tomato varieties/ Different tomato varieties/types have adapted to different soil structures since they first came from the high semi-temperate plains of Chile and Peru/