Thread: Pole beans
View Single Post
Old August 16, 2017   #30
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Tormato, thanks- I will be interested in hearing your results. At 83 years of age, I just don't feel like attempting any long range trials! But there has been a lot of variation in my harvests, and I don't know what causes it. Some of my beans will grow in a semi-circle instead of straight- no clue why-is it heat-winds, ? I will continue watching this thread to get all the help I can--I love my beans!
I wouldn't rely on Kitazawa for accurate info. They do have a good selection of rarer veggies, though. They still list Akahana Mame and Shirohana Mame as common beans (P. vulgaris), whereas they are runner beans.

As for your curled beans, very likely weather related. There are some varieties that always grow curled, like Garrafal Oro, and Anellino Giallo (if I remember and spell correctly). For me, GO grows somewhat semi-circle. I sent seeds to someone out in the high desert/mountain country, and they grew complete full-circle. When a pic was posted at another site, almost everyone was astonished, having never seen anything like it.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote