Thread: Dr. Dester
View Single Post
Old September 30, 2012   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JereGettle View Post
Hello Tomato Friends,

We know both Larry and Anna well, friends with both and both are former employees of BC. Yes, Larry got it from Anna and grew it first, we got it from Anna, but just grew it this year. But have known about it for awhile from visiting Anna's house.

It is a great tomato, one of our new favorites.... But my overall Favorite this year, was Green Giant, it was incredible tasting and was our heaviest producer... No we don't have it this season... But Victory Seeds does.... It was my favorite of two hundred varieties.
Good to see you here Jere, and thanks so much for the clarification on Dester. I do think it's unfortunate that there are now two names for it. As you can see Darlene was again going to contact Larry for clarification, for you call it Dr. Dester and most of us have just been calling it Dester, and Larry/his wife sent out seed packs with some alternate names as well.

What's the chance that you and Anna and Larry can communicate with each other and decide on ONE name for this excellent variety? I do hope that could happen b'c it would benefit everyone.

If you look at the thread here on what was first called Siberian Pink Honey there was a similar problem with that name but that was resolved , see the thread, and it was agreed to call it just Pink Honey:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...ian+Pink+Honey

As for Green Giant, I know I love it as well as do many others who have grown it, and thanks to Reinhard Kraft for it as well.

Here's the link to Tania's database about it for those who would like to know the background:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Green_Giant

And as you can see from the above link there are many places where seeds for Green Giant are sold in addition to Mike's Victory Seeds.

I think it's also interesting that many in the south see no amber blush with this variety, but most of us in the northern climes do see that amber color which is so typical of most green when ripes except for the GWripes that have a clear epidermis such as Verde Claro, another favorite of mine and some others.

Finally, I hope all is well with you and your family and that adorable daughter of yours has inherited some of your enthusiasm for growing anything and everything.

Edited to add that SSE has been selling the seeds for two years now from their public catalog and selling the variety as Dester, I forgot them above, but you already know that since you're a listed SSE member. I know that many folks grew Dester this past summer as well and will be offering them in seed offers/trades and some at Tville are seed site owners so they too will be listing them for 2013. Just saying that if it's possible to have one name for this variety it would be great.