Thread: asmx91 2022
View Single Post
Old October 28, 2022   #150
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Anneliese,
you mean 5000 in your "growing history" I guess.
Otherwise it's exactly the way I try to make them ripen too. My goal is a bit different, though. I want them to ripen as slowly as possible so that I have tomatoes all year round. Last ripe tomatoes of the previous season can be eaten in March. And so can the first tomatoes of the current season, as I seed them in November and grow them at home. That's why I don't put any apples or bananas among them. And I keep them in low temperatures. I admit that there's usually a gap of 2 or 3 weeks. The taste isn't really anything to write home about, but they are better than those from a supermarket. They still taste like tomatoes, not polystyrene.But last year I left them inside the cottage and about 13 kilos got frozen some time in February. It mustn't happen this year (or rather next year).
Yes, I agree that glasshouses pose a problem or two. Excessive heat being one of them. There was a time when I was thinking about building one, heated by a heat pump and with all modern technology. So I put down my requirements on paper and started looking for a firm that could meet them. Came out totally empty handed - no-one was willing (or able) to build what I needed. So I had to solve the problem my way without a glasshouse. It seems to be working fine. My toms on the balcony are still alive and ripening (at 150 above the mean sea level as opposed to 570 where my garden is).
Best luck next year.
Milan HP

Last edited by Milan HP; October 28, 2022 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Correction
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote