View Single Post
Old March 19, 2012   #7
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Roundup works pretty well with reasonable safety. I have used it around the garden and our home off and on for many years. So long as you heed Carolyn's advice about wind/drift and apply label rate you should get good results. You would have to seriously overdose to significantly affect your soil organisms.

I remember when Roundup was first introduced in the early/mid seventies. It was revolutionary. It was considered by many farmers to be an absolute godsend at the time, even at the then astronomical price of $85/gallon.

In the midwest it was being applied in corn fields using homemade rope wick applicators to combat Johnson grass. I got to build such a homemade applicator when I worked as a summer assistant on a wildlife management area and I have since used it with a hand held ropewick I made to kill dandelions in lawns.

You won't find much information on rope wick applicators now. I find it a shame that such pragmatic concerns as finding the best use for the product were dwarfed by desires to create new uses for it (aka "Roundup Ready"). Still, IMHO Roundup remains the best compared to the other options available for most uses, particulalry around the home.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote