View Single Post
Old April 9, 2015   #59
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Most people think that Nevada is all like Las Vegas... it isn't!

I live in Northern Nevada and it is HIGH desert. We're at nearly 5,000 feet at the base of the Sierra Nevada, on the Eastern side, in its rain shadow. I'm less than an hour's drive from the North shore of Lake Tahoe.

Our winters are cold, very windy and usually snowy, although we have been in a drought so just cold and dry for the last couple of years. It's windy most of the time year-round. It's extremely dry here, and in the summer it's usually around 5-7% humidity, and we get 40-50° temperature swings most of the year, including in Summer, so it will swing from 50° at night to 100° in the daytime. Now? Mid-20s to mid-60s.

When we moved here, somebody told me that it has snowed here every month of the year at some time in the past. I believe it too! According to the charts, we have about 109 frost-free days per year. That's early June to mid-September or so.

Right now, we're experiencing the usual roller coaster temperatures. My broccoli is now dead, despite my covering it because we got three successive nights below 25° when a strong cold front came through. The kale and chard both look okay. Nothing else is out. Not even a tomato in a Wall O'Water. Too risky. Did I mention that I really want a greenhouse?
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote