View Single Post
Old April 9, 2013   #20
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda'skid View Post
Don't go overboard on the fertilizer. I did that with some plants in pots. Once you get too much you have a problem that is hard to fix.

I think your lack of nitrogen is due to the wood chips and horse manure. I got a small pick up load once of horse manure and wood shavings. That area did not grow things very well for a while. At first the urine in it works but that washes out or is used up and the wood chips take up nitrogen.
Yes, after learning here about the wood chips depleting the nitrogen here, it makes sense.. I remember my tomato plant getting tall and viney and hardly any flowers .. just a green plant..only until late in the season did some plants in that one bed produced scarce and small fruit.. the other problem bed was pretty much the same.. but two fresh new beds yielded nicely compared to the old depleted beds.. i really never added nitrogen other than the 15-30-15 KGO plant concentrate..one teaspoon per gallon.. I'm going to send a soil sample in to rutgers.. i want to know if i put too much lime last few seasons or not enough of amendments.. thanks for sharing, John