View Single Post
Old February 26, 2011   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Worth, Australia put a ban on seed importation b'c of the concern about the Potato Spindle Virus, which infects tomatoes as well. Until that happened a few years ago I had no problems getting seeds to Australia, as Patrina can tell you, but I'm speaking of just hobby amounts and sent by individuals. I don't know the current restrictions on importation of tomato seeds to A in bulk amounts but would imagine that a phytosanitary certificate would be required which is costly. Same as it is in the US for importing large bulk amounts of tomato seed.

I've done these free seed offers online since about 1990 or so, first at AOL, then GW and now here since Tville opened, and I've sent seeds all over the world and luckily for me they all arrived.

The only complaint I have is the Canadian mail system. I sent Tania her seeds she requested from my seed offer and then shortly after that some other seeds she wanted to work with and there was a 9 day difference in delivery. And Neil G in Canada can also attest to such delays. And when Craig L and I were publishing OTV it was a mess getting that newsletter to folks in Canada.

yes, as had been pointed out above, the only legal way to get hobby amounts of seeds into the US is to pay for a certificate for same, and that's also discussed and links given in the front of every SSE YEarbook, but speaking personally, I don't know of one person who has done that.