Thread: Onions for 2019
View Single Post
Old November 24, 2018   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Well Salt, I am taking a break form onion and leek seed shopping online with the Black Friday sales and saw your title come up in the new posts.
I too have had low to no germination one year, with no change in technique or materials.

I think it is the seed, or the way that the seed was handled in delivery. Nothing that you did, it just might have been old or stored improperly before or during transit.

I have a nearby nursery that sells about 8 ish varieties of Dixondale onion plants, so I can buy without a shipping fee. The buyer selects a few of the wrong variety for our long day area, so this year I want to start one or two (or 3 or 4...) new ones along with a bunch that I will buy from their selection. The other places to buy onion plants here are quite generic ,i.e. labeled only by color for "normal" people that are just satisfied that it is an onion. I don't grow sets for onions, just for scallions. Boring!

While people are reading this thread, I was also wondering what the best mix is for growing onion seeds ... something rich like fox farms or normal Jiffy. They like a rich soil to grow in the ground so perhaps the rich mix would give them a better start in a pot.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 24, 2018 at 01:22 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote