Thread: 2013 Projects
View Single Post
Old January 24, 2013   #13
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehelix View Post
I think your goal of getting a very small anthocyanin tomato that looks like a berry is a good one. If you focus on just that goal, you will get there. The quickest way if you can't do thousands of grow outs is to pick one really good anthocyanin line and cross it with 6-8 small fruited tomatoes.
That has been an idea for a while now, I was trying with Hawaiian Red and Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues late last season, now the idea has grown in scope and intensity a bit. Definately #1 on my goals.

Quote:
I had a plant year before last that I literally butchered. It was a multiflora tomato and I could not emasculate a bloom to save my life. The ground looked like yellow snow by the time I was finished. The plastic dental picks I use are about the only way I can get a small bloom emasculated and I never get it on the first go.
Yes, I'd watched your video's too. My wife noticed a bunch of the plastic flosser picks (what we had in the house) on the fence rail and was looking displeased that I was outside in the garden flossing my teeth. Fortunately when explained what I was really using them for she went back to rolling her eyes.

Quote:
"What about it makes it difficult to work with?"

When you try to emasculate it the entire blossom comes off. I have seen several newer hybrids that have this problem too. Well, it is only a problem if you are wanting to breed with it. If you try to use it for pollen, it is not open enough to get pollen at the right stage, but if you wait for it to open more the pollen is no longer viable and tends to be clumpy.
Well that's lovely to look forward to...
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote