View Single Post
Old April 21, 2017   #12
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek Kvapil View Post
Yes, one of the reasons why I want to add more wild tomatoes to my collection is I want to use them for breeding more late blight and early blight resistance into tomatoes. But there are other reasons: I want to know them, experience them growing and explore the genetic diversity of tomatoes. I am curious about tomatoes and I like discovering new things. I believe genetic diversity of wild tomatoes is hiding some treasures which still needs to be extracted:-).

Regarding sending seeds to EU: When I was ordering some czechoslovakian heirloom varieties from USDA, ARS, Plant Genetic Resources Unit I had to arrange special permission called Letter of Authority. Only then they were willing to send me the seeds. Nevertheless Central Institute for Supervising and Testing in Agriculture here in my country will test the plants grown from received seeds and they can tell me to destroy the plants if anything is wrong with them...
You forgot to mention that you are trading with seeds of rarer varieties. Not directly, but only a participant can get seed (eg Latah) only when attending your training (very expensive). Nobody knows anything about your research.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; April 21, 2017 at 05:34 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote