View Single Post
Old June 22, 2015   #23
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Default DIAGNOSIS!!!

Thanks to the Ag Extension agent for looking at SCADS of photos and representative leaves from my ailing Tomato Jungle and giving me a diagnosis / good news!!

The diagnosis? Iron clorosis from watering too much and leaching out nutrients AND fertilizing too often (excess nitrogen) causing abnormal leaf size, pebbling, curling etc.

The cure: water ONCE a day and fertilize only every 2 weeks.

It's been a week since their advice started being followed. The second and third dfay of changing from watering twice to once a day, I discovered about 1/3 pf the fruit from one EB had BER (nothing since), the leaves are a lush dark green. The agent told me that the clorotic leaves didn't need to be picked off, but I wonder when (if) they will ever recover.

Yesterday (6-21), I did NOT do my (old) reguolar weekly fertilizing: next weekend, I will start the every 2 week fertiliozing. It might just be myu imagination, but the leaves already look smaller, smoother and less distorted.

AND also yesterday, I harvested my first tomato (from the Fourth of July plant)!!! I sense a pic in the near future, BEFORE I slice the little beauty for a 'mater sandwich tonight!!!

RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote