Thread: J&L Gardens
View Single Post
Old September 23, 2013   #36
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone - the feedback is invaluable. The Ambrosias and the Copper Currant have wild genes which may help a bit with whatever is going around. Good photos, Robin. Do either of your Ambrosia plants have that spicy, skunky aroma? The smaller one is closer to the Sugar Drop which came out of that line. I would hang onto it. Perhaps we can trade some seed.
I've noticed this summer some of the tomatoes did not color up until later. The blue tomatoes (with the exception of Midnight Select) need direct sunlight and cooler temperatures. There is a thread here where some of us who are working on the blue tomatoes post results. It is good to hear the Bosque Blue is doing well. It seems to be a larger, more vigorous plant than the other kinds of blue tomatoes out there.
I had a chance to visit last night with Tom Wagner about his work with breeding tomatoes, blue varieties, and what I was doing. We agreed this business of developing new tomatoes is rewarding, but not always well-compensated. I plan to offer a couple of his stable varieties, and return a fraction to him, and I encourage everyone to support Tom's work.
Charley - hello neighbor! If you are up in Santa Fe some weekend, Jan and I will be at the market until the first hard freeze. It's always fun to talk tomatoes.
I plan to upload some of the new varieties to our home website by the weekend. Again, if there is anything you would like to sample, just let me know here.
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote