View Single Post
Old April 1, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplanted all to cups

First year of trying to grow from seed and today after 4 weeks of growth in the peat pots I replanted all 22 Tomato & pepper plants into clear 9oz. solo cups. Here's what I did filled each cup 3/4 full of new Burpee coconut coir seed starter mix that I put in the microwave 3 times with 2min. sessions to kill any bad stuff. I very carefully removed each seedling from the old mix and removed as much coco coir from the roots as possible. I labelled with marker pen each variety before hand then made a generous cavity in the new mix so there would be enough room for the root system, I planted the tomatoes deep so they will have a strong root system when its time for final planting outside. I know replanting puts some stress on the seedlings so I have them in a dark area now. How long would you wait til they go back under the grow light and how much time should they spend under the lights before I go back to 16hrs? Another question concerning watering... In the peat pots the seedlings seemed to either be to wet but then in just a few days the seemed very dry what can I expect from the 9oz. plastic cups? I poked holes in the bottom of each cup so I can still bottom water. I was wondering if I could use a spray bottle to add a little moisture to the plants between watering?
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote