View Single Post
Old January 24, 2017   #42
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Bill, how deep the clear plastic box is that you are using ? and for how long your grafted work stay in the box ? I might try just a few , as exercise , this first round of my germination. Then I might try few more the next round, more seriously. I will just use Big Beef as root stock. I have some Big Boy and Better boy seeds. Are they any good for root stock ? (VFN ??).
Just went out and measured my healing chambers and they are about 10 1/2 inches deep. I wish they were a little bit deeper. If I ever run across any with a nice flat bottom that are clear and deeper I will get them. Usually the deeper ones are just too large unless you are grafting a whole lot of plants at once and space in not an object.

Usually they are in the box about a week but some of that is with the lid opened up a bit. Depending on how well they are doing and the weather they might come out much earlier or a bit later.

Never used Big Boy or Better Boy as root stock but they should do fine. I think they have moderate soil born disease resistance but I'm not sure. Just for practicing any tomato will do. I used IS one time and they did great but I didn't plant them because they really don't have much disease tolerance like most heirlooms.

Just checked my root stock seedlings and my scion seedlings that were planted a week earlier. The root stock seedlings have caught them and some are actually larger than my scions. Next time I may wait a full 10 days between planting them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote