View Single Post
Old March 5, 2009   #60
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
ArcherB,
You don't need plants to trade with me. I have ~200 plants. Warning: This is my first year starting from seeds, not successful. The seedlings are small. For any variety if I can buy I will buy for my own garden. I will only plant my own seedlings if it is not commercially available.
You will be very surprised how quickly your little seedlings will grow into healthy green transplants as soon as the temps stay 65 - 75 degrees during the day. Just bring them inside at night if you can, or cover them with some turned over clear plastic tote tubs.

In fact, just prop up the tote tubs a bit during the day to get some air circulation so it doesn't get steamy hot when the sun is bright. You might want to put a brick on top of the upturned totes to hold them down in the wind.

I think since this is your first time out with home grown seedlings, you're a bit disappointed when you see commercial transplants over there at Walmart. Remember, those were grown in greenhouses and given professional care, plenty of sunlight, warmth and fertilizers to get them up to an appearance that appeals to the buyer.

Instead of playing down your own seedlings, pat yourself on the back for your gumption and effort. Don't toss those little babies just yet.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote